The first TEDxPeterborough will take place on Wednesday, April 3 at The Key Theatre, Peterborough from 9.30am to 6pm. The independently organized event, licensed by TED, will feature local voices and TED Talks videos under the theme of Variety Is The Spice Of Life.
Launched in 2009, TEDx is a program of locally organized events that bring the community together to share a TED-like experience. Some of the best talks from TEDx events have gone on to be featured on TED.com and garnered millions of views from audiences across the globe.
This will be the first TEDxPeterborough and features speakers from Peterborough as well as from across the UK and further afield such as France, Denmark and Iceland.
TEDxPeterborough’s Curator Asha Clearwater says: “We are so thrilled to be staging the first TEDxPeterborough in the city and can’t wait to see all our 12 fabulous speakers share their ‘ideas worth spreading’.
“Our theme for this year is ‘Variety Is The Spice Of Life’ and we hope to reflect that with the diversity of topics and talks we have lined up. If you’d like to experience TEDxPeterborough for yourself then please go to www.tedxpeterborough.com and book your ticket!”
Speakers at the first TEDxPeterborough are:
- Nick Coles – Teacher from William Law CE Primary School in Werrington. Talk: Effective Feedback Without Marking.
- Gitte Winter Graugaard – Author, life coach and speaker from Denmark. Talk: Help Your Child To Sleep – Empowering Your Child To Connect.
- Carly Leonard – Chief Executive of PECT (Peterborough Environment City Trust). Talk: Why We All Need A Fashion Fast.
- Lee Mason – Virtual reality and digital artist based in Peterborough. Talk: Reality Is Over-rated.
- Sarah Parkes – Former science teacher with an honours degree in Environmental Chemistry and a diploma in law. Talk: BIG MACs Not Muffins.
- Dr Andrea Pennington – Integrative physician, acupuncturist, meditation teacher and author. Talk: Music Saved My Life: My Journey From Self-Hatred To Self-Love.
- Helene Philipsen – Life transformation specialist based in Copenhagen, Denmark. Talk: Don’t Eat Your Feelings.
- Claire Russell – Founder of mental health training business, volunteer with Samaritans, Mental Health First Aider and Trainer. Talk: Resilience Is In-built and The Key To Mental Health.
- Emma Sheardown – World and European Para Dressage champion. Talk: There’s No Such Word As Can’t.
- Adam Stevens – Speaker on diet and health across three continents. Talk: The Source of Health.
- Solveig Thorarinsdottir – Stockbroker, founder of award-winning yoga studio, author and musician. Talk: The Power of Love: From Badass Banker To Love Warrior.
- Taz Thornton – Award-winning coach, motivator, author, speaker, empowerment and visibility specialist. Talk: The Science Of Being Silly.
TEDxPeterborough sponsors include:
Platinum Sponsor: The Art Of Selling
Gold Sponsor: CityFibre
Silver Sponsors: The Grange Spa and That Beautiful Mind
Bronze Sponsors (In-Kind)
AllenSigns (TEDxPeterborough stage letters and posters)
Tim Spencer: WP Trainer (TEDxPeterborough website)
Black Fire Films (Videography at TEDxPeterborough and editing)
Vicki Head Photography (Official TEDxPeterborough photographer)
Contract Clothing (TEDxPeterborough t-shirts)
InkoPress (TEDxPeterborough Sweatshirts)
Zippy Promotions (Speaker badges)
Total Compliance (Event organization)
Turquoise Tiger (Event organization and promotion)
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California almost 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world’s leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes on a diverse mix of topics. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The TED2014 Conference takes place in Vancouver, British Columbia, along with the TEDActive simulcast in neighboring Whistler. TEDGlobal 2014 will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
TED’s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; and TEDBooks, short e-books on powerful ideas. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world get help translating their wishes into action; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
For information about TED’s upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration
For more information contact Asha Clearwater